Skip to main content

Some (almost) post-summer bakings

I feel that I haven't been properly baking for such a long time! I spent some time with families when they came to visit us, tried to focus on my science a little bit more (failure!!!), and attempted to writie something science related (???). But most of the time, I guess I'm just so scared of the hot weather and crawled in the cough daydreaming lol. 

Before I even realized, it is September already (which is also related to back-to-school season, ouchhhhhhh...). I guess it just somehow reminds me to stop wandering in the lazy summer time and start do/bake something.


Chance came that I was asked to make two cakes in one weekend. So here we go:

The green tea charlotte is an adapted version of mine. I once made a similar one here. But here it just made total sense that I used 2 egg white to make the lining meringue biscuit and the egg yolks went to the mousse filing- no waste at all XD. I love the versatility of green tea; it basically go with anything, yet it just gives a special Asian hint to anything you make.

Tp name it, red beans, sake, strawberries, chocolate, and PINEAPPLES- try pair them with green tea and you will be amazed! Here for the second cake, I tried combing green tea sponge cake with pineapple cream cheese filling- they matched surprisingly nice. Especially when it was still kind of hot, the cake was perfect as being light and fruity.


In case you are wondering about the pineapple flowers on top. I found the recipe here.


 Enjoy your (almost) post-summer time &embrace the fall (and fall bakings!)~~~




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First bread in my new kitchen: Thomas Keller's multigrain batard

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Isn't spring the moving season? Yes, to me I guess as I've been moving for two years in a row at this time of year. Sadly I finally moved out from the glorious upper east side of New York after being there for 4 years (can't believe! is it that long already??), to the "humble" Queens.. However, after I moved in, I'm starting to love my neighborhood. There is actually quite a few to explore and to discover (I mean, hmm, restaurant) in Queens. Indeed, I can't just improvise to make a call to order some Chinese food delivered to my door, or walk to the French bakery a few blocks away whenever I want. Luckily I can opt to make my own.  With a good multigrain bread, some jam/spread, slices of good cheese, I am considering myself having a perfect breakfast/brunch. Of course, the world is even better if there is a cup of tea :) Multigrain batards are the most frequently-ordered bread I do in store- they're crust

How to feed A BOYFRIEND when you have no intention to cook

I had almost given up cooking before my boyfriend! I've always been enjoying spending time in the kitchen, but, often time, I just gave in to my laziness. Plus, I had my perfect excuses: 1. I'm a busy phD student; 2. I'm spending most of my "kitchen time" baking. So I'm really used to a rather simple meal plan myself: homemade bread for breakfast, salad for lunch and yogurt for dinner. (I try to balance the protein and starch in it, so, don't worry, I can totally be filled up.) With all my passion (and time), I made bread for myself and cakes for friends. However, all these routine somehow changed when I started to take on the responsibility to feed someone- someone who is an ultimate meat lover, who hates salad (I mean, all the green leaves), who would never join my meal plan. Alas, the game completely changed- only I'm still the lazy girl as I've always been. So I came up with a couple of tricks for the "game": 1. Make it simple

Forever themes of my baking- artisan bread &sourdough

I do bake a lot of cookies, cakes and pastries; I found them extremely useful when I go to parties or simply want to please my foodie friends.   Indeed, I can always find myself a justified excuse to bake. (Once I started to make the first birthday cake for my friend in lab, I unconsciously have set myself into this situation. So, I felt really relieved that I don't need to bake for the next coming birthday- that is my own lol.) But I don't 'consume' many of the sweet stuffs I bake; baking makes me more aware of how good 'calories' taste, so I actually lost some pounds since I started baking XP.  What I do bake for myself all the time are sourdough artisan breads! They have even replaced rice totally to become my staple now. I just enjoy the aroma of grains so much and cannot have enough of those bread! I like to try different recipes of artisan bread, mostly changing the grains and nuts I put into the dough. It's amazing that combination of different g