Skip to main content

Experimenting with chocolate glaze: Chocolate cake with Peach& marshmallow mousse

What is you favorite chocolate glaze like? Rich, thick and melting in your mouth, or syrup like that is shiny and sticky? Of course you can say both- come on, it's chocolate!


Chocolate is just among the most magical things to me whose texture changes so much in different temperature when combined with different other ingredients. You can totally make a flourless chocolate cake with just egg, cocoa powder and cream; or with only egg white and chocolate, you can create the most stunning chocolate mousse in the world! We buy really good ~70% chocolate at home for baking, of course and for directly putting into our mouths. We as small kids absolutely preferred sweet milk chocolate, but our palates gradually develop as enjoying more of the biter aromas as many people grow up.


Getting back to the cake today, it was made for a really good friend's defense party (alas, one more friend graduated, sad face..). Hopefully the decorations on the cake remind somewhat of festival ornaments LOL. As for the inside, I tried adding fresh yellow peaches in my cream cheese mousse filling- if you can't tell, I'm more and more into adding different seasonal fruits to my mousse.
Also, please try adding marshmallows in your mousse!! The result is so interesting and playfully tasty. Just be careful to reduce the sugar in the mousse given the sweetness marshmallows will introduce.


This is also the second chocolate glaze recipe I tried. I found it here, which is so different from one other recipe I tried earlier. 5 minutes after I store the cake in refrigerator, the glaze totally solidified into a soft chocolate truffle texture. If you prefer more of the shining, sticky glaze, serve the cake immediately you add the glaze, or try this one from Thomas Keller.

Happy baking with chocolate!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First bread in my new kitchen: Thomas Keller's multigrain batard

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Isn't spring the moving season? Yes, to me I guess as I've been moving for two years in a row at this time of year. Sadly I finally moved out from the glorious upper east side of New York after being there for 4 years (can't believe! is it that long already??), to the "humble" Queens.. However, after I moved in, I'm starting to love my neighborhood. There is actually quite a few to explore and to discover (I mean, hmm, restaurant) in Queens. Indeed, I can't just improvise to make a call to order some Chinese food delivered to my door, or walk to the French bakery a few blocks away whenever I want. Luckily I can opt to make my own.  With a good multigrain bread, some jam/spread, slices of good cheese, I am considering myself having a perfect breakfast/brunch. Of course, the world is even better if there is a cup of tea :) Multigrain batards are the most frequently-ordered bread I do in store- they're crust

How to feed A BOYFRIEND when you have no intention to cook

I had almost given up cooking before my boyfriend! I've always been enjoying spending time in the kitchen, but, often time, I just gave in to my laziness. Plus, I had my perfect excuses: 1. I'm a busy phD student; 2. I'm spending most of my "kitchen time" baking. So I'm really used to a rather simple meal plan myself: homemade bread for breakfast, salad for lunch and yogurt for dinner. (I try to balance the protein and starch in it, so, don't worry, I can totally be filled up.) With all my passion (and time), I made bread for myself and cakes for friends. However, all these routine somehow changed when I started to take on the responsibility to feed someone- someone who is an ultimate meat lover, who hates salad (I mean, all the green leaves), who would never join my meal plan. Alas, the game completely changed- only I'm still the lazy girl as I've always been. So I came up with a couple of tricks for the "game": 1. Make it simple

Forever themes of my baking- artisan bread &sourdough

I do bake a lot of cookies, cakes and pastries; I found them extremely useful when I go to parties or simply want to please my foodie friends.   Indeed, I can always find myself a justified excuse to bake. (Once I started to make the first birthday cake for my friend in lab, I unconsciously have set myself into this situation. So, I felt really relieved that I don't need to bake for the next coming birthday- that is my own lol.) But I don't 'consume' many of the sweet stuffs I bake; baking makes me more aware of how good 'calories' taste, so I actually lost some pounds since I started baking XP.  What I do bake for myself all the time are sourdough artisan breads! They have even replaced rice totally to become my staple now. I just enjoy the aroma of grains so much and cannot have enough of those bread! I like to try different recipes of artisan bread, mostly changing the grains and nuts I put into the dough. It's amazing that combination of different g